2022 Workshops & Classes:
- Saturday, March 12th, 10 am to 12 pm – Soil Blocking Hands-on Class & Flower Growing Q&A with Lauren from Alchemy Farmhouse Join Lauren Tamraz of Alchemy Farmhouse, Gardiner’s CSA flower farm, to learn about soil blocking and growing cut flowers. Soil blocking is a great way to grow vigorous, healthy plant starts, save on space and reduce plastic usage. If you’ve ever struggled to find space for all your spring seedlings before it’s warm enough to transplant to your garden, soil blocking can help! Lauren will also share information about growing cut flowers including key varieties for beginners and beyond, planning for a harvest from spring through autumn and best practices for long lasting blooms. Alchemy Farmhouse is a small farm with big heart where flowers teach lessons ingrowth, transformation and generosity. Lauren is their devoted student. She is a graduate of the Floret Workshop and member of the Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers with two decades of gardening experience.This workshop will include a hands-on soil blocking portion, Q & A and more. You can find out about Alchemy Farmhouse and follow their flower journey on Instagram at @alchemyfarmhouseblooms. $20 Suggested donation, supplies included & participants will take home flower starts.
- Saturday, March 26th – 10 am – 12 pm Tree Walk – Identifying Trees in Winter with Rebecca Rew. Join Rebecca Rew, local naturalist educator for a winter tree identification at Phillies Bridge Farm this Saturday March 26th. As trees are silently dormant for winter, they are simultaneously preparing for spring. We will discuss spring bud break and how to age trees and stems. Identification will be focused on buds and bark. Tree field guides are encouraged, but not required.
- Saturday, May 14th 8 am – 10 am – Bird Walk with Rebecca Rew. This walk is geared toward adults, but families are welcome to come along. Rebecca will be offering an opportunity to spend time outdoors on our nature trail, identifying and observing birds along the way!
- Sat & Sun, May 21st & 22nd Basket Weaving – 2 day course:
Weave a Willow CSA BasketBe the envy of all at CSA pickup when you stroll up with a basket you wove yourself! Over the weekend, students will learn traditional willow weaving with Jes Clark (they/them) of Willow Vale Farm. Starting with a round base, and working your way up the sides with randing, you’ll finish with a woven border and wrapped handle to complete a classic and useful basket. Jes grows their own willow on the farm and the beautiful colors of the willow are all natural and part of the charm of this renewable and ecologically beneficial material.
Tuesday, June 21st, 4:30 pm – 6 pm Open House on the Farm! Come meet the board, farmers, and staff at Phillies Bridge! Take a farm tour and learn about the work we are doing to carry out our mission. No registration is required, this event is open to all. Light refreshments will be served.
- Tuesday, June 21st, 6 pm – 8 pm Introduction to Food Preservation
Learn the basics, what should you can, jam, freeze, pickle or dry? Understand what
equipment you need and the process…… it is safe, easy and it is not rocket science!
- Friday, July 15th, 6 pm – 8 pm Pickling, Jams, and Jellies
What to do with fruits? What are the secrets to good pickles? Ideas and how to’s for
wonderful homemade goodies. Enjoy them yourself or they make wonderful gifts.
- Saturday, July 23rd 10 am – 12 pm Mushroom Walk with Catskill Fungi Fungus enthusiasts unite! Head out on our nature trail with a skilled mycologist from Catskill Fungi. See what kinds of species you can identify in the 60 acres of forest on Phillies Bridge Farm! Visit catskillfungi.com to learn more! This walk is always a good time, and very informative!
- Tuesday, August 30th 6pm – 8pm The Big Tomato Salsa, sauce, sun dried…. or just simply canned? Learn how you can be enjoying home or farm grown tomatoes throughout the year.
Please sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of the page to receive our 2022 workshop updates.
Do you have a skill you’d like to share with us? Please let us know!
Don’t see what you’d like to learn? Please contact us!
Pre-registration is required.
Classes are held at Phillies Bridge Farm, 45 Phillies Bridge Rd, New Paltz NY 12561
Please contact us if you have any questions.