Enjoy local, sustainably grown food.
Know your farmers.
Know what you want already? Sign up here.
What is Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)?
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is an alternative, locally-based model of food distribution in which small-scale farmers and local consumers join forces to create a better food system. You, the consumer, purchase a “share” in our farm, and receive a weekly share of the season’s bounty. Your advance share payments provide funds to purchase seeds and growing supplies in the spring, when we most need them, as well as the freedom to spend the harvest season growing food instead of finding customers. In exchange for this commitment, at a reasonable price, you get to enjoy produce that is of exceptional taste and freshness, and you will also enjoy knowing just how your produce dollars are supporting a local farm. It’s a farmer-friendly, community-oriented model centered on the sharing of both the risks of the season, and the bounty.
What’s in a share?
- Over 150 varieties of vegetables, herbs, and flowers
- We offer our shares in two sizes. Our big share is designed for a 3-4 person family or 1-2 hungry vegetarians, and our small share is designed for 1 to 2 people.
- While we do have some choice built into the weekly shares, we encourage shareholders to make use of our “SWAP BOX.” You are welcome to trade ANY vegetable for another similarly sized item in the swap box.
- As a shareholder, you have access to the pick-your-own field on CSA days. We grow flowers, peas, beans, cherry tomatoes, tomatillos, husk cherries, hot peppers and a variety of herbs for you to enjoy.
- Our weekly newsletter is filled with farm news as well as recipes and helpful cooking tips to expand your knowledge about the less familiar vegetables in the share.
- The full share season is 24 weeks long. We anticipate starting in early June and running through mid-November. These dates are subject to change based on weather conditions.
What are the perks of joining?
- Receive six months of freshly-harvested vegetables grown using organic methods;
- Save money over comparable farmers’ market or supermarket produce;
- Learn how to cook with a wide variety of fresh vegetables;
- Build a relationship with our farm, the community, and the source of your food;
- Enjoy our 65 scenic acres, including a children’s Discovery Garden and a nature trail that meanders through wetlands, woodlands, and pasture;
- Meet our flock of laying hens;
- Help support our mission to engage and educate the community;
- Receive discounts on our education programs, including workshops for adults, summer camp for school-age children, and parent-toddler programs.
Is the produce organic?
We are not certified organic, but we follow organic growing methods and work towards ensuring the long-term sustainability of the farm through the use of cover crops, regular crop rotations, and other techniques that promote the health of the soil and the land. Our farmer is happy to answer any questions about our growing, harvesting, and livestock management practices. Direct inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s in a share?
The amount of produce in your CSA share will vary over the course of the six-month season. Our aim is to provide an average of approximately $35 (for big shares) or $20 (for small shares) worth of produce per week were you to shop for similar organically-grown produce at farm stands or health food stores. If you comparison shop week to week, you’ll find that the actual market value of the produce in your share is often much higher than that, particularly if you make full use of u-pick opportunities. In 2018, the total value of a big share was over $900 – a 25% savings! See the list of what we grow.
What if I can’t pick up my share?
We encourage you to send a friend to pick up your share if you will be away a certain week. Any shares that are not picked up will be donated to food pantries.
What if I want a smaller share?
You are welcome to arrange splitting a share with a friend. We do not coordinate the splitting of shares.
Is there a work requirement?
No. Shareholders are not required to work. If you would like to volunteer, we are a non-profit organization and we offer volunteer opportunities to match the skills and availability of every shareholder. Please contact email@example.com and let us know how you’d like to help!
Do you offer financial support to those who cannot afford it?
Yes. We offer our CSA shares on a sliding scale. Learn more about sliding scale shares HERE.