2019 Farm Apprenticeships
Phillies Bridge Farm Project in offers practical apprenticeships in sustainable agriculture. Phillies Bridge Farm Project (PBFP) is a non-profit educational working farm on 65 acres in New Paltz, NY. Mixed vegetables are produced from approximately 5 acres for a 140 member CSA, local health food stores and restaurants, and low-income families through our food justice programs. The educational programs at PBFP offer school children, local youth, CSA members, and the general public opportunities to learn about and participate in sustainable and local food production. PBFP is committed to agriculture that is ecologically sound, community oriented and economically viable. While not certified organic, PBFP uses organic methods to produce high quality produce. PBFP provides Farm Apprentices with the foundational knowledge to pursue a career in small-scale vegetable production.
We are hiring:
- 1 full season farm apprentice (approx. April through October)
- 1 summer farm apprentice (approx. May through August)
Over the course of the season, apprentices will learn the following activities and skills:
- Seed starting and greenhouse management
- Bed preparation
- Transplanting and direct seeding
- Crop maintenance
- Organic pest and weed management
- Irrigation systems
- High Tunnel construction and management
- Harvesting, washing and packing produce
- Tracking production/record keeping
- CSA distribution
- Supervising farm volunteers
- Tractor and equipment operation, safety and maintenance
- In addition, apprentices participate in Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT) farm visits
Additional learning possibilities for full season apprentices:
- Crop planning
- Wholesale client relations
- The inner workings of a non-profit
Apprentices are expected to work hard alongside the farmer, while demonstrating a strong work ethic and a positive attitude. Work schedule will vary from 40 to 50 hours per week depending on time of year. In return, Farm Apprentices will receive a weekly stipend of $350, on site housing and seasonal produce and eggs from the farm.
Who we invite to apply:
- We seek responsible, good-natured, hard working individuals with an active interest in food and farming.
- Applicants should have good communication skills, the ability to take initiative, and a desire to learn.
- It is important that applicants be receptive to feedback and adjustments for work processes.
- We seek individuals who will be consistently punctual, arriving at work ready to work.
- Applicants should be able to comfortably lift 50 pounds and engage in repetitive work, in all weather conditions.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.